November’s Creative Cookie Exchange theme is ginger. This is my first month participating in the bake group. My recipe is a Refrigerator Ginger Cookie. Slice and bake. Easy. I worried a bit about the molasses overbearing the ginger but once they baked, the ginger took the spotlight.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2½ cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter. (in microwave safe dish 45 seconds, stir, microwave additional 30 seconds)
- Mix melted butter and sugar in medium mixing bowl.
- Warm molasses (run under hot water for 1 minute). add molasses to butter and sugar mixture.
- In separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger, and salt.
- Mix vanilla in molasses mixture.
- Add dry mixture to molasses mixture. Mix well.
- Form dough into a roll (2 inch in diameter). Wrap roll in wax paper.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Slice in ¼ inch slices. Place on cookie sheet 1½ inches apart.
- Bake, on a well-greased cookie sheet, at 375 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes.
Tip: before slicing cookies, roll the cookie roll in colored sugar.
The theme this month is Ginger! Dried and ground, candied, fresh–if you like ginger in your cookies you have come to the right place! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Buttery Ginger Shortbread Cookies by Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chewy Ginger Cookies by Anshie at Spiceroots
- Chocolate-Ginger Chewies by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Favourite Gingerbread Cookies by Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Ginger Chocolate Ninja Cookies by Kim at NinjaBaker.com
- Ginger Curry Sugar Cookies by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Ginger Lemon Sandwich Cookies by Sophie at Sweet Cinnamon & Honey
- Ginger Molasses Cutout Cookies by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Ginger Sour Cream Cookies by Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- Oat, Orange and Ginger Crisps by Jill at Made With Love
- Orange Ginger Cookies by Shilpi at Indian Curries/Stew
- Pepparkakor (Swedish Ginger Cookies) by Holly at A Baker’s House
- Refrigerator Ginger Cookies by Tanya at DessertStalking Blog
- Séches aux Gingembre by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Vegan Ginger Cookies with Cardamom by Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks