Product: Comfort Food
Did you know that Chicken Soup for the Soul now makes comfort food? The line is inspired by the original books by the same name.
I got to review three items
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Thai Style Chicken Broth
They came in large cartons that ranged in size. The cartons are easy to open and the shape makes them easy to store.
I decided to make a Thai soup with the flavored broth. Tom Kha Gai has been one of our favorite Thai recipes for a few years and this broth was perfect. It made it so flavorful and rich.
- 3 cups (24 fluid ounces) Thai style chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized strips
- ½ lb (8ounces) fresh or canned straw mushrooms (drained)
- One stalk lemongrass
- 5-6 fresh bird's eye chilies
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced thinly crosswise
- 4-5 limes
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1½ cups (12 fluid ounces) full-fat coconut milk or cream
- Put the chicken stock in a wide and shallow saucepan, bring it to a boil
- Halve the straw mushrooms into bite-sized pieces
- Cut the lemongrass stalk into 1-inch pieces
- Cut the chilies into small pieces and then smash with a mortar and pestle
- Juice 2 limes
- Put the coconut milk, lemon grass, & ginger in with the boiled broth
- Bring the heat to medium-low & add the mushrooms
- Stir gently until the chicken is evenly cooked
- Add in the smashed chilies and remove the pot from heat
- Add the juice of 2 limes and the fish sauce stir, and taste. Add more lime juice and fish sauce, depending on your taste.
- Stir in the cilantro leaves and serve very hot