This is my second post about moving from Blogger to WordPress, you can read the first one here. This time I thought I would write about the price differences in running the two.
My blogger site was really cheap to run. If you have a .blogspot domain you can get away with having no running costs at all.
I bought a custom domain pretty soon after, about 3 months after starting to blog. I strongly recommend getting a custom domain name right away or just starting out with on one matter what web host you are using. This saves you from having to do any forwarding and changing of links later on. Also some companies won’t work with you if you don’t have a custom domain.
The prices below are the all for custom domains.
- Custom Domain & host – $10 a year (Google apps through GoDaddy)
- Blog Design – I paid $55 the first time and around $80 the second time. It can be $50-$250 depending on your designer and your layout
- Host – $3.95 a month (Bluehost) This had to paid upfront for three years to get the cheaper monthly rate. It is normally $4.95 a month.
- Design – This latest design cost me about $150. It can be $100-$1,400 depending on your designer and your layout
- (Optional) Migration Help – I had the same people who did my design also help me migrate from Blogger to WordPress for $100. I’ve seen the price for this range from $50 to $300
Of course there are so many more optional services that you can buy like cloud storage, plugins, photo editing software… the list goes on and on but these were the main things to get my blog up and running.
I would say do whatever option is going to work better for you. I wrote about why I moved to WordPress in my first post. I would say only move to WordPress if blogging is something you really know you want to be doing years from now since it is going to be considerably more money to run.